Wednesday, November 14, 2012

THE update!!!

We've had a crazy, stressful, exciting, scary, and joyful week. Let's just say we're tired.

I got a wonderful phone call on Monday of last week and found out that our profile book had been shown to a birthmother in Florida who was really interested in us and that I would be called that night with more information. I superglued my phone to my hand to make sure I wouldn't miss anything...it was a long night with no phone call.

Tuesday we got a little more information but still no decision.

Wednesday we heard that the birthmother still really liked us, liked that we live in "rural" Kansas (did she notice we live in Kansas City??) and wanted to know if we were okay with a long-distance open adoption (which we are!) I told the social worker that we love open adoption, but that I would check with Jeremy to make sure he was on board for annual trips to the lovely state of Florida.

Thursday--waiting, waiting, waiting. I finally made up an excuse to email the social worker and she said she was just waiting for me to confirm that Jeremy was on board. Uggghhh...I forgot to tell her that! I was waiting on them and they were waiting on me...frustrating!!!

Friday we left for Iowa to celebrate my grandma's 80th birthday. I checked my phone about 2,000 times on the way up and checked my email immediately upon checking in to the hotel. Nothing.


Saturday we had a lovely time strolling around Amana, Iowa, shopping for cheese, touring a woolen mill, eating a big meal with extended family, and biting our tongues as people asked about our adoption. "How's our adoption going? Hang on, let me check my phone..."



Sunday we lost control of our car driving home and were just thankful to be alive.


Monday morning we read the email that we had been MATCHED WITH A BABY!!!

Our birthmother sounds wonderful and the baby is due April 1st!. We have 20 weeks to hang that last shelf in the nursery...

We are over the moon that we have been matched, but we also understand that the baby isn't ours yet. Until she signs the papers shortly after birth, the birthmother is the baby's only mother and she has every right until then to change her mind and decide to parent. We hope that we can take the baby home, but we leave that in God's hands!

4 comments:

  1. Well, answered prayer for this extremely important part and believing that the Lord will continue to be gracious to both birth and adopting parents. Did I mention I was over the moon with this news? Kansas City is considered rural when you live in fast moving Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley and Jeremy!!! I am so excited for you guys! This will be so much fun! Todd and I will be praying for you guys as you approach the birth date :) Let us know if you need anything.

    You guys are awesome! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the car, but so excited about the baby! We are in the trenches with you praying over this situation. Now we wait. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! Super excited for you guys, and praying for you from Nebraska. Praise Jesus for taking good care of you - He gives us such good things. :)

    ReplyDelete